What our lesson guides include
Overview: The Earth and Space Learning Roadmap Gr5-6 lesson guide introduces students to concepts and material that explore the planet and the universe around it. Students will study a number of varying subjects that align with NGSS standards. In total, the Earth and Space guide for students in 5th grade and 6th grade includes 31 lessons.
Learn Bright learning roadmaps are useful tools for organizing your teaching agenda, whether in the classroom or at home. The science roadmaps are divided into general subject areas: earth and space, engineering and technology, life sciences, and physical science. This roadmap includes the lessons for the 5-6 grade band in earth science. It lists the lessons in alphabetical order, and you will find the grade band associated with the lesson below the lesson title. Note that some lessons fall into more than one subject area or grade band.
Because there is no national standard for teaching science-related topics, you can choose any number of these lessons to teach your students throughout the years. Many lessons relate well to each other, and you may benefit from teaching multiple lessons at the same time. For instance, this Earth and Space Learning Roadmap Gr5-6 lesson guide includes separate lessons for the solar system, constellations, galaxies, and space rocks. You could teach all four in conjunction with each other. Feel free to be flexible and adjust when necessary to fit your unique needs!
Earth and Space Learning Roadmap Gr5-6 lesson guide
The learning roadmap for the earth and space subjects includes 31 lesson plans for students in 5th grade and 6th grade. The topics vary widely, from climate change to geologic time to latitude and longitude. The state educational standards for every lesson, which align with NGSS standards, are on the individual lesson product pages. Below is a short list of lessons related to earth and then a list related to space. Each lesson contains a brief description that explains what students will learn.
- Carbon Cycle—Our Carbon Cycle lesson plan explains this important process and why it is vital to our survival and the survival of all living things. Students will learn how carbon moves around the earth. They will also discover what happens during each step of the process. This lesson is for students in 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade.
- Earthquakes and Volcanoes STEM—For this STEM lesson, students will learn about these two types of very destructive natural disasters. They will discover what causes either to occur and what the resulting effects are. They will also be able to build models of a volcano and seismograph and conduct experiments to demonstrate what they learned. This lesson is for students in 3rd grade, 4th grade, and 5th grade.
- Natural Resources—This lesson explains how humans use certain resources that exist naturally on the earth. Students will learn about the difference between renewable and non-renewable sources. They will also be able to list examples of inorganic resources that are metallic and non-metallic. This lesson is for students in 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade.
- Asteroids, Comets, Meteors—In this lesson, students will learn about these three space rocks and what makes them all different. They will discover the similarities and differences and be able to identify a space rock based on its traits. This lesson is for students in 5th grade and 6th grade.
- Galaxies—Students will learn about the three major types of galaxies and discover facts about the Milky Way in particular. They will also learn a little bit more about the history of galaxies and how many stars and solar systems compose a single one. This lesson is for students in 4th grade, 5th grade, and 6th grade.