The lesson provides students with strategies for solving word problems that require division. Several strategies are included such as drawing diagrams, looking for patterns, and making graphs. A list of words students can use to discover whether or not the problem requires division is included as well. Several examples are provides for teachers to review with students. The lesson can be used in conjunction with other lessons related to word problems.
- Begin by explaining to students that they will concentrate on solving word problems using division.
- While reading the content pages, reinforce vocabulary and give students additional examples of division word problems in order to help them practice. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Introduce the notes on division word problems. Have students practice problems without remainders. Use the additional resources to enhance understanding.
- Have students practice problems using different strategies to solve the word problems.
- Follow Activity page with students. Have students work individually or in pairs to write a short story based on the word problems provided.
- Distribute Practice page. Check and review the students’ responses as a class.
- Distribute the Homework page. Have students share their word problems at the beginning of the next class.
- In closing, ask students to tell which key words are used to know it is a division word problem.
- Allow for responses and discussion.
Common Core State Standards:
Class Sessions (45 minutes): 1-2 class sessions
Many more teaching resources in Download!
Want more math resources? Check out our other Math Lesson Plans!